Sunday, July 02, 2006

staring

I sat at the bar, talking to ex-gf #5 and checking the door periodically. No sign of Maria. We had been exchanging messages, she knew where I could be found. Part of me wanted her to come find me, part of me didn't like that idea at all.

Each time I checked the door my gaze crossed the face of a women sitting on the other side of the oval-shaped bar. She invariably had her eyes pointed my way, although I couldn't be entirely sure she was staring at me and not someone behind me or next to me.

After a while my glances became about checking whether she was looking first, the door second.

Did I know her? She seemed familiar.

I got off my chair and made my way to the toilet, holding my glass and scanning faces as I walked. A curl here, a freckle there, eyeliner, earrings, smiles. So many women. The atmosphere seemed charged with pent up sexual energy.

As I stood by the urinal, I remembered. I had met the woman across the bar at a party a couple of years ago, we had somehow gotten into a detailed conversation about the pros and cons of monogamy. She'd been a bit weirded out by my opinions, but at the same time she had also been intrigued.

I made my way back to the bar, went the long way around so I'd pass by her. I caught her eye, grinned.

"Hi, remember me?" I asked.

"Yeah, we met at Finnegan's place didn't we?"

"Right!" I introduced myself, not expecting her to remember my name after all this time. "How've you been?"

She got a funny look on her face.

"Actually, that conversation we had at the party made me reevaluate some things I'd been taking for granted. I've always wanted to tell you." She leaned closer to me and said quietly, "I've also always regretted not going home with you that night."

I grinned.

"I was quite disappointed that you didn't. I'd invite you over tonight, but I'm afraid I have previous engagements." I glanced meaningfully across the bar at #5.

After a moment's pause I added. "Although, she probably wouldn't mind you joining us. If you're interested in that sort of thing."

She looked at her shoes.

"You saw me staring at her, didn't you?"

So that's why she'd always been looking in my direction! Hah!

My grin got a couple of millimeters wider. I introduced them and thus began what turned out to be a very interesting night.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Desireous said...

Well then do tell!!!

hugs
Des

03 July, 2006 15:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home